Monday, July 5, 2010

Flip Flop Rehab

One of my besties picked out an adorable pair of flips for me, and I wore them to death, until inevitably... the day came when they're just too yuck to wear any more. In my case, I just couldn't stand the little dirty footprint inside which, try as I might, I can't scrub off. But I couldn't toss them in the trash either. So, I decided to remove the embellishments that makes them so cute, and sew them onto a fresh new pair.

I found a sweet pair of mint flips at Walmart for $2, with the same thin straps as my favorite Havaianas. They have a huge collection of fun colors at Walmart (except gold). So I brought them home, snipped, sewed and voila! 15 minutes later... they're adorably fabulous once again!

Thanks Susan... I'll be sporting them in green for the foreseeable future!
Now... I wonder if I can recycle my old pink ones. Stay tuned...

TIPS:
Use embroidery floss to sew (cute color and strong), a medium sized needle so it doesn't snap while sewing, and use a pair of small pliers, which will make the job of sewing through the rubber super easy.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Very nice. Now's a good time to experiment with the old ones and see what will rid the wretched black footprint. Or, knowing you turn them into something else fabulous...a new dog collar perhaps? Maybe ink them up and step around to make a footprint door mat? Wait...check this out: http://www.uniqueco-designs.com/ Truly amazing...there's a need for everything and no need for waste. Love you!