Sunday, June 20, 2010

Resurrect a worn out straw bag in a flash!

My (formerly) bright aqua straw bag had seriously seen better days. Between long, lazy days at the beach and sitting in the backseat of my car, it had been bleached. It's once gorgeous caribbean hue, had gone the way of pea soup.

But the bag was still in great shape so I couldn't bear to toss it. I can fix this, I thought. A quick trip to Home Depot, one can of pretty blue spray paint and a little sewing later... back to fabulous! In fact, I think I
like the bag this color even better! Joy! I'm off to the beach....

What you'll need:
Spray paint (Rustoleum satin finish worked great for me and dried in 30 minutes)
Embroidery floss (A color similar to the bag's new shade)
An embroidery or other sewing needle with an eye big enough for the floss

Step 1:
Carefully snip and rip
to remove lining



Step 2: Spray
I sprayed over the grass, away from cars and anything else that could could get coated with overspray. I wore rubber gloves, worked from the bottom up, then hung it from my wrist to make final touches (you'll need to spray from all angles). I finished by hanging it on a hanger to dry.

Step 3:
Pin lining back into place and sew.


Step 4:
Pack fabulous new bag. Hop on beach cruiser and meet your friends at the beach!

No comments: